[Peace-discuss] Obamans' shameless lies

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 1 13:42:41 CDT 2009

[Why are we in Afghanistan? "9-11!" When the Germans invaded Poland on 9-1-39,
they announced, "We're finally shooting back!" --CGE]

	Holbrooke: Afghanistan Is Not Vietnam
	March 29, 2009 11:32 AM

Afghanistan is not another Vietnam, Richard Holbrooke declared on Sunday, in
what was, perhaps, the most forceful pushback against concern and criticism of
Barack Obama's plans for that war.

"I served in Vietnam for three and a half years and I'm aware of certain
structural similarities," Holbrooke, who is serving as the administration chief
diplomat to Afghanistan and Pakistan, told CNN. "But there's a fundamental
difference -- the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese never posed any direct
threat to the United States and its homeland. The people we are fighting in
Afghanistan and the people they are sheltering in Western Pakistan, pose a
direct threat. Those are the men of 9-11, the people who killed Benazir Bhutto
and you can be sure that as we sit here today, they are planning further attacks
on the United States and our allies."

The remarks by Holbrooke come as critics have begun to air concerns that the
president has either drawn himself into a potentially massive and humanly costly
foreign policy venture in Afghanistan and/or isn't committing the necessary
military resources up front to win the war.

The latter charge was also addressed on CNN's "State of the Union with John
King." General David Petraeus, Commander of U.S. Central Command, was asked to
address remarks from General David McKiernan that suggested he wanted more U.S.
forces sent to Afghanistan than the 17,000 allotted by President Obama.

Why did the president say no, King asked.

"Well, he certainly hasn't said no," replied Petraeus. "What everyone has said
let's get these forces on the ground. Every request for forces and every
recommendation that the General McKiernan and I made though his year has been
approved and as I said we'll take that forward and do the assessments. I think
it would be premature to get beyond that right now."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/29/holbrooke-afghanistan-is_n_180461.html