[Peace-discuss] "Believe nothing until it's officially denied"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 2 01:09:37 CDT 2009

	Petraeus: Militants Could Topple Pakistan
	April 1st, 2009

CENTCOM Commander General David Petraeus told the Senate Armed Services
Committee today that the assorted militant factions in Pakistan “could
literally take down their state” barring action against them.

Gen. Petraeus also said that the Obama Administration was doing a “deep
dive” of investigation into TTP leader Baitullah Mehsud, who yesterday
claimed his organization was planning to “launch an attack in Washington
that will amaze everyone in the world.” Intelligence officials seemed
quick to dismiss the threaten attack, part of the TTP’s retaliation
against the ongoing US missile strikes against the group in Pakistan’s
tribal areas.

Petraeus and other defense officials portrayed the situation as
“increasingly dire”, and were reportedly pressing the Obama
Administration to add yet another 10,000 troops to the ever increasing
surge of soldiers being sent to Afghanistan.

http://news.antiwar.com/