[Peace-discuss] Re: AWARE Presents Paul Street and panel

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Thu Apr 2 17:45:10 CDT 2009

I spoke to Paul Street today, and told him that we would most probably
stick to our April 30 date, which he favors.

I have invited no one except Bob Naiman for the panel. I asked Belden
Fields for people he would recommend, while also offering to consider
him, but he mentioned no one but himself. So, the makeup of the panel
is still up in the air.

Too bad about Boyle,. Thanks, Karen for inquiring.

I think we prefer people with diverse but critical outlooks. Paul
Street is likely to be highly critical of almost all Obama has done,
as is Carl, both highly knowlegable. Belden is strongly interested in
human rights issues and comes from Political Science. I think would be
appropriate and effective, although I would have liked him to
recommend others. Perhaps we can ask someone in Economics who might be
willing to serve, or someone from History at the University. Jim
Barret is a fine possibility here. Another person coming to mind is
Gene Vanderport, a dynamic union guy. David Johnson is another.
People have mentioned Carole Ammons. I don't know of anyone who has
approached her. Someone volunteer? Others from AWARE—the Storms,
Stuart, Ron Szoke, Durl, Conrad, etc., could be all be good panelists.
How about Matt Murray or Carole Inskeep? Susan Davis? (whom I'd be
happy to contact.) Paul Mueth would also be good.

Have I left anybody out?

Panelists should not be the only people to comment. Questions/comments
from the audience are to be welcomed.

  People on this working group, or others, should suggest other
panelist, so we can choose ASAP. I think we agreed to have only three
panelists, but maybe one more.

Please, convey your suggestions, for members of the panel, or whatever.

Next, we ought to see if Focus 580 is open for an interview with Paul
Street. Perhaps McChesney on his preceeding Sunday broadcast.
Volunteers to carry through on this?

Then, we have to get our publicity out.  Calendar notices, …

Lots to do!!

Mort

PS. I will still house Paul Street. We both plan to leave town early
May 1.