[Peace-discuss] Violence after occupation

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 13 14:14:35 CDT 2009

There seems to be a large disconnect in the numbers quoted blow.
Raymond Aron is not the most reliable figure to believe, a
reactionary. 791 executions is bad enough , but I wouldn't call it a
bloodbath, especially since much was done via court procedures. True,
there were also public retributions—women having their heads shaved
and marched through the streets in disgrace because of their relations
with the Nazis. But there was nothing resembling the turmoil and
bloodletting of civil strife.

After a war and occupation, there inevitably are violent feelings
regarding those who collaborated with the enemy/occupants. This
occurred certainly in France, as in Vietnam, Norway, the Netherlands,
Czechoslovakia, … and may take place in Iraq. Whether this results in
unbridled civic strife or within a fairly honest legal system makes a
lot of difference.

What does it mean to be a traitor?

--mkb