[Peace-discuss] Violence after occupation

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 13 21:43:55 CDT 2009

*It's Robert Aron, not Raymond.  Different people. And "reactionary" is a bit
strong. RAYMOND Aron was a liberal in the European sense; a lifelong friend and
intellectual opponent of Sartre, but not always a backer of De Gaulle or the
French right.  (He was first recommended to me in a class by Stanley Hoffman,
leading scholar of modern French politics and no reactionary.)

*791 were executed in seven years "within a fairly honest legal system"; BUT

*40,000 presumed collaborators were killed in "the turmoil and bloodletting of
civil strife." (Even De Gaulle's government admitted that at least 10,000 had
been killed extra-legally, and they of course had reason to minimize the
number.) The equivalent in the US today would be well over a quarter of a
million.  Sounds like a bloodbath to me. --CGE