[Peace-discuss] Ibn Khaldun - 14th century Tea Party Guy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 16 15:21:33 CDT 2009

Of course we, poor souls, have to read Ibn Khaldun's most interesting
reflections through the lens of the Great Transformation -- the coming of the
capitalist era, which he did not imagine and of which he would not have approved.

He did not foresee a society in which human life was controlled by vast
organizations that enriched themselves by extracting wealth from the direct
producers by means of the wage contract -- and were then thought to have no
further responsibility ("the free market").  Of course no society could ever
actually exist according to "free market principles" -- it would immediately
destroy itself -- but that remains the theory of modern exploitation,
necessarily mitigated in practice. It insists that no one has a right to live
unless they give up control of what makes them human, their work of head and hands.

Thomas More, Khaldun's rough contemporary (i.e., roughly in the way that I'm a
contemporary of Karl Marx') wrote of similar matters in the Utopia (1516) and
had his character conclude as follows:

    "Therefore I must say that, as I hope for mercy, I can have no other notion
of all the other governments that I see or know, than that they are a conspiracy
of the rich, who, on pretence of managing the public, only pursue their private
ends, and devise all the ways and arts they can find out; first, that they may,
without danger, preserve all that they have so ill-acquired, and then, that they
may engage the poor to toil and labour for them at as low rates as possible, and
oppress them as much as they please; and if they can but prevail to get these
contrivances established by the show of public authority, which is considered as
the representative of the whole people, then they are accounted laws...”

More, a lawyer and a government official, perhaps saw hazily the new arrangement
of society (the transition to which would be bloody), as a result of which "All
that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and people are at
last compelled to face with sober senses, their real conditions of life, and
their relations with their kind."

I first encountered Khaldun in the now terribly unfashionable work of Arnold
Toynbee, which led me to Marx (and to which I'd been led by the novels of Isaac
Asimov...). Toynbee said that his work was inspired by the Moqaddimah, "a
philosophy of history which is undoubtedly the greatest work of its kind that
has ever yet been created by any mind in any time or place."

And the philosopher Ernest Gellner (d. 1995) -- who pointed out that one of the
better observations on class society came from the Prophet: "subjection enters
the house with the plow" -- praised Khaldun's definition of government: "an
institution which prevents injustice other than such as it commits itself."