[Peace-discuss] Iran in the crosshairs?

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 20 22:37:04 CDT 2009

I was showing what Israelis are saying, and what they may fear. I
don't necessarily disagree with your interpretation, but I'm not so
sure as you about what discussions and strategies are occurring in the
inner sanctum of the administration. As usual Obama is trying to
triangulate and propagandize by 1) seeming to support a two state
solution (without specifying what that would entail), perhaps in order
to tell the Israelis to back off in their war cries against Iran while
2) not alienating Israeli apologists/Likudists and 3) while not
compromising US's hegemonic objectives.

It can be conjectured—all this is conjecture at this point—that George
Mitchell has a hand in what is going on, expressing sympathy towards
the Palestinians. But it can also be conjectured that Dennis Ross
wouldn't mind putting the screws on Iran for the benefit of Israel and
inciting the Israeli's to continue their threats. It may well be that
he would like to destroy any possible rapprochement with Iran, so that
Israel would feel more free to have its way to convince the Americans
to look the other way in an attack by Israel. . That Ross has been
given the Iran portfolio would not seem to imply any peace-like
overtures to Iran. But then again maybe he's opposed by some advising
the administration, such as  Bryzhinski(sp), Baker, Clinton(?)…. Etc.

It's a complicated scenario. You can almost believe what you want, and
be cynical with respect to any statements emanating from either
Washington, Teheran, or Jerusalem (not to speak of Sarcozi, Brown,
Medvedev/Putin, Abbas, etc.).

--mkb