[Peace-discuss] Iran in the crosshairs?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 21 08:58:49 CDT 2009

I don't think you can believe what you want.  A lot of the difficulty the
anti-war movement finds itself in comes from believing what it wants -- wishful
thinking -- rather than trying to determine what is the case.

But if by cynicism you mean the view that political actors are motivated by
group self-interest rather than honorable or unselfish reasons ("Obama's trying
to do the right thing!") -- as Chomsky puts it, a little obscurely, "states are
not moral agents" -- I agree.  --CGE