[Peace-discuss] Being and nothingness among American murderers

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Apr 24 23:16:56 CDT 2009

As the administration rapidly expands its illegal war in Pakistan, its
propaganda cover slips like a bad toupee.

The US has to pretend we're killing "terrorists" in AfPak (there's no
Congressional authorization for anything else) when in fact we're fighting the
resistance to US control of the entire Middle East.

The word this week was "existential." Tangling her syntax in a way that might
interest a psychoanalyst, SecState Clinton told a House committee, "I think that
we can not underscore [underestimate?] the seriousness of the existential threat
posed to the state of Pakistan." (Maybe she meant "underscore enough.")

"Existential threat" is a term of art from Israeli propaganda: the nuclear-armed
Israeli government insists that its existence is constantly threatened by
non-nuclear states and of course Gazan schoolchildren (and in a sense it is).

But the memo on "existential" has clearly gone around in the Obama
administration: "US Defence Secretary Robert Gates has warned Pakistan that the
Taleban poses an 'existential threat to the democratic government of the
country'" [BBC]; "Gen. David Petraeus warned Congress Friday that the United
States faces a 'tough road" ahead ... what has been missing still is “the kind
of whole-of-government approach that would result from a complete commitment by
the Pakistani senior leaders ... that will be necessary to face up what is again
an existential threat to Pakistan” [Politico].

But perhaps the American officials simply mean that the sneaky Taliban are about
to distribute the works of J.-P. Sartre to unsuspecting Pakistanis.  That would
make more sense than what they're actually saying.  --CGE