[Peace-discuss] Being and nothingness among American murderers

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Apr 25 00:15:43 CDT 2009

Actually, there is at least one Sartrean notion that's appropriate to the
Obamans.  Jean-Paul spoke of what he called "bourgeois bad faith": "a
paradoxical internal duality of consciousness in which consciousness thinks of
itself as a thing at the same time that it gives covert recognition to its
freedom." Le fond de l'affaire is that claims that one is not free to act are
usually bogus.  "We were never freer than under the Occupation," he wrote,
scandalously.

Try that on those defenders of Obama who keep saying their man would like to do
the right thing, but just can't.

Sartre, in an interview with the NYRB when he was 70, said, "Naturally, in the
course of my life I have made lots of mistakes, large and small, for one reason
or another, but at the heart of it all, every time I made a mistake it was
because I was not radical enough."  Seems right.  --CGE