[Peace-discuss] On message

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Apr 25 00:53:02 CDT 2009

Q: In your opinion, has the Pakistani military shifted its focus? And does it
see the problem of the Taliban as the existential threat to Pakistan?

AMB. RICHARD HOLBROOKE: I hope they do.

And when you say Taliban, I think your viewers around the world should
understand that you're not just talking about Taliban. The word "Taliban" in
this case embraces al-Qaeda and really dangerous other groups in the same area,
loosely affiliated -- in fact anyone who thinks they can run their country
without American direction and control.

[OK, I added the last phrase -- but don't you think it articulates the subtext?
  See the whole interview at http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/04/19
/karzai_holbrooke_gps_zakaria_96066.html. --CGE]