[Peace-discuss] Mean Streets (2) (David Sirota on Populism, too)

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Apr 27 12:45:11 CDT 2009

I don't trust Krugman any more than I trust Obama and Bernanke.

Pareto, Amoroso, Gini, and Mussolini had more in common than just being
Italian.

They knew what they meant when they said Proudly that they were
Fascists.  They were good statisticians too, innovative in the math
tools they created, rather than innovative in the Mark Twain judgment of
statisticians.  Amoroso's biography of Pareto considers Pareto as a sort
of Fascist God, and Gini wrote a book called something like "The
Scientific Basis for  Fascism", but later became discouraged about
Fascism because its authoritarian hand interfered with his work.

Orwell on the other hand offers a more ambiguous observation that does
indeed illustrate the problems of connotation:
/
^ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism#cite_note-orwell1944-51> The
word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of
course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it
applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment,
fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee,
Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts,
Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else...
almost any English person would accept ‘bully’ as a synonym for
‘Fascist’. – George Orwell, What is Fascism?. 1944.[52]/

Orwellian confusion aside, there are useful definitions of fascism ---
   (1). A political regime, usually totalitarian, ideologically based on
centralized government, government control of business, repression of
criticism or opposition, a leader cult and exalting the state and/or
       religion above individual rights. Originally only applied
(usually capitalized) to Benito Mussolini's Italy.
   (2). By vague analogy, any system of strong autocracy or oligarchy
usually to the extent of bending and breaking the law, race-baiting and
violence against largely unarmed populations

 From my point of view, the Clinton-Bush-Obama administration is rather
strongly committed to definition (1), and one major theme for Mr. Obama
is to accelerate the process.

Let's hang around and see what happens next.