[Peace-discuss] Wayne calls out Krugman

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Apr 27 15:48:06 CDT 2009

Bob,

I didn't mean it as an insult at all.

Nor was I really wanting to make a case against him /per se/ but ask as
a serious non-rhetorical question how he got to where he is now...

I will agree that perhaps it would behoove me to be a bit more careful.
Qiao tells me that frequently.

But this Krugman business does look like a set up to me, that this guy
gets a Nobel Prize and instantly is propelled into a Rush Limbaugh-like
position as a media pundit and hit man for the Obama Administration.  I
read something by Krugman or see him on video about once or twice a week
and I never noticed much his title.  "Liberal" is not a key word for
me.  Lots of Libertarian leaning people call themselves "classical
liberal".  Aimee Allen says she is a left-leaning paleolibertarian.
What do these titles mean?

Krugman is way too often using the argument by generalizations line "all
economists agree", "economists agree", "as everyone agrees"... I do see
him as a media guy like Hannity, Limbaugh, Medved not as a scholar like
Hayek, von Mises, Woods, ...  I do find it fishy that this guy Krugman
gets a Nobel Prize.   F.A.Hayek got a Nobel prize for ideas that are
diametrically opposed to Krugman's.

Of course, the folks that I follow of the Austrian School (not the
Chicago school), and most of the people in the "Movement" do most
strongly disagree with Paul Krugman, so I really do dislike his
"Argument by Generalization".   Krugman was on cspan several weeks ago
and Bob Schlereth called in from Urbana (his mother lives here) and
asked Krugman about how Austrian Economics predicted the Economic
collapse.  Krugman said that the Austrian school was small and obscure
and then he actually tried to respond that he had seen the bust coming
too, and a few days later he was saying that no one could have seen it
coming.  What?

Krugman was also calling the Tea Parties "Astroturf", meaning that it
was not a real grassroots effort, but rather a "contrived effort made to
look real", like the home-made McCain and Palin signs that appeared
"spontaneously" on the floor of the Republican National Convention.  I
am at times about half ready to believe that the american people really
are a stupid as they say that they are.  Those of us out here organizing
through facebook and meetup.com and email and blogs do perceive the
world as much different from the way that Krugman is telling it.  And
Max Keiser, who lives in Paris and writes for Huffington Post (someone
else can classify Max), has been calling for the trial and summary
execution on the yardarm or guillotine of Paulson, Geithner, Bernanke,
and bubbleblowing Greenspan, for racketeering, treason, and high crimes
against the people.  Max's show on BBCWorld has been cancelled but he
will be starting a new show "On the Edge with Max Keiser" sometime next
week.