[Peace-discuss] End Obama's war vs. Pakistan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 30 23:47:08 CDT 2009

	Obama: ‘We Want to Respect Pakistan’s Sovereignty, But…’
	Posted By Jason Ditz On April 30, 2009

President Barack Obama had nothing but good things to say about Pakistan’s
military, cheering them for recognizing the “misguided” concern with a
prospective Indian invasion and recognizing, in his words, “that their biggest
threat right now comes internally.”

But with regards to the nation’s civilian government, Obama was anything but
supportive. While criticizing it as “very fragile” and incapable of delivering
basic services, the US president declared “We want to respect their sovereignty,
but we also recognize that we have huge strategic interests, huge national
security interests in making sure that Pakistan is stable and that you don’t end
up having a nuclear-armed militant state.”

While pressuring Congress to support “urgent” aid to Pakistan, the Obama
Administration intends to significantly expand the nascent US military training
program in the nation. Reportedly the president will discuss the matter with
Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari during his visit next week, but senior
officials say that Pakistan has already agreed in principle to the idea.

The United States started a small training program for Pakistan’s paramilitary
Frontier Corps in October, though officials in February also confirmed a “secret
task force” of over 70 military advisers were also dispatched to provide direct
training and advisory functions.

Historically, growing US training commitments have been a prelude to more direct
US military intervention. The US military was involved in training the South
Vietnamese army in 1954, an escalating commitment in which the United States
ultimately committed more than 500,000 ground troops to a bloody and ultimately
failed war.

What the president’s somewhat ominous comments about wanting to respect
Pakistan’s sovereignty will ultimately come to remains to be seen, but recent
history certainly is not on the side of the United States in creating a “stable”
nation where none exists.

URL to article:
http://news.antiwar.com/2009/04/30/obama-we-want-to-respect-pakistans-sovereignty-but/