[Peace-discuss] Christians, war and torture

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 10:56:38 CDT 2009

Interesting poll results, Mort.  Thanks for posting it.  Disturbing.  But I have to say I'd read the results somewhat differently than this guy does - he may be bringing some baggage to the analysis, like frustrated with his coreligionists in particular.  I don't know.

But the first thing I noticed was that the poll victims were all white.  It could just be that it's more a phenomenon of white culture, and that religion just isn't a factor.  Of course, since the poll doesn't include people who ain't (white, that is), it could be just Americans.  It does seem that 'we' are in a minority.  Witness the support for police tasers locally, for example, despite the fact that it is a torture device (pain compliance).

This has been going on for some time in our culture.  I noticed it first (ok, I was naive before) several years ago when there was an actual national debate among intellectuals and other folks about the novel (at the time) practice of police inserting needles under the fingernails of e.g. nonviolent protesters, pepper-spray, and other pain-compliance methods used when mass arrests were being thwarted by means of the protesters handcuffing themselves together, etc.

We who reject such brutality have along uphill climb.  In my opinion, our weakness is the level of organization of the other side.  Consequently there is, in general, only one effective response: organize our side (not just our friends).

My 2c again.
Ricky

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn