[Peace-discuss] Refutation of "humanitarian intervention"

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 3 21:56:52 CDT 2009

I don't understand the following statement of Chomsky, after he shows
the hypocrisy and faults of R2P. Perhaps someone can explain.

Amther discussion of R2P and humanitarian intervention can be found by
Jean Bricmont at

http://www.zcommunications.org/znet/viewArticle/22152

It is a long article, but he notes at its beginning:

…I would like, in this talk, to challenge the intellectual assumptions
underlying the notion and the rhetoric of R2P. In a nutshell, my
thesis will be that the main obstacle to the implementation of a
genuine R2P are precisely the policies and the attitudes of the
countries that are most enthusiastic about this doctrine, namely the
Western countries, and in particular the US.…

--mkb