[Peace-discuss] Refutation of "humanitarian intervention"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 4 03:09:51 CDT 2009

[Chomsky suggests that the corruption of R2P to big power purposes is
not absolute.  Hypocrisy is the tribute vice pays to virtue.]

"...But the maxims that largely guide international affairs [e.g., the
maxim of Thucydides that the strong do as they wish while the weak
suffer as they must] are not immutable, and, in fact, have become less
harsh over the years as a result of the civilizing effect of popular
movements.

"For such progressive reform, R2P can be a valuable tool, much as the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights has been.

"Even though states do not adhere to the Universal Declaration, and some
formally reject much of it (crucially including the world’s most
powerful state), nonetheless it serves as an ideal that activists can
appeal to in educational and organizing efforts, often effectively.

"The discussion of R2P may be similar. With sufficient commitment,
unfortunately not yet detectable among the powerful, it could be
significant indeed."

http://inthesetimes.com/article/4696/making_war_to_bring_peace/