[Peace-discuss] Refutation of "humanitarian intervention"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 6 23:57:15 CDT 2009

[Chomsky, from about ten years ago.]

Actually, on humanitarian intervention in general, I guess my view is not unlike
the view that was attributed to Gandhi, accurately or not, when he was
supposedly asked what he thought about western civilization. He is supposed to
have said that he thought it would be a good idea.

Similarly, humanitarian intervention would be a good idea, in principle. But can
we expect that with the existing power structure, distribution of power in the
world, there will be humanitarian intervention?

There is nothing new about the question, of course. The idea of humanitarian
intervention goes back to the days of the Concert of Europe a century ago - in
the 19th Century there was lots of talk about civilizing missions and
interventions that would do good things. The US intervened in the Philippines to
"uplift and christianize" the backward people, killing a couple of hundred
thousand of them and destroying the place. The same thing happened in Haiti, the
same thing happened with other countries.

We cannot disregard the historical record and talk about an ideal world. It
makes sense to work towards a better world, but it doesn't make any sense to
have illusions about what the real world is.