[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Breaking news: Single payer to be voted on in House of Representatives

Barbara kessel barkes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 21:34:46 CDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lynn Unruh <lunruh at mail.ucf.edu>
Date: Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 8:29 PM
Subject: Fwd: Breaking news: Single payer to be voted on in House
ofRepresentatives

Hi all,

I do NOT want to be taxed so that the insurance and pharmaceutical company
CEOs can continue to maintain their horrible greedy lifestyles (the current
watered down Obama plan). I want to be taxed ONLY to pay into a universal
health account so that people who can't afford health care can get it.  I am
sick and tired of healthcare reform being manipulated by the people largely
responsible for our problems.  Frankly, the Obama-supported plan SUCKS.
 Only a single payer plan will improve this morass we call "healthcare"

I've had some wine tonight.  Forgive my opinionated tirade.  Please consider
asking your congress person to support the single payer bill, which doesn't
stand a snowball's chance in hell.

Take care,

Lynn

Lynn Unruh, PhD, RN, LHRM

Associate Professor
Department of Health Management & Informatics
College of Health and Public Affairs
HPA-2, Room 210-L
4000 Central Florida Blvd
University of Central Florida
Orlando, FL 32816-2205
lunruh at mail.ucf.edu
Phone:  (407) 823-4237
Fax:       (407) 823-6138

>>> Physicians for a National Health Program <info at pnhp.org> 8/5/2009 6:31
PM >>>
In this e-mail:

  1. Single payer to receive a vote on the floor of the U.S. House
  2. Media appearances by Obama's doctor (and PNHPer) Dr. David Scheiner
  3. New Kaiser Comparison of Congressional Health Plans
  4. Invitation to PNHP's Annual Meeting: Saturday, October 24

August 5, 2009

Dear PNHP Members and Friends,

Breaking News!

Last Friday, Speaker Nancy Pelosi committed to bringing single-payer to a
vote before the full House of Representatives when the chamber reconvenes to
debate national health care reform in September.

The vote will come in the form of an amendment to the House Leadership's
incremental health legislation. The amendment, offered by Rep. Anthony
Weiner (D-NY), would effectively remove the entire existing health plan and
replace it with the text of H.R. 676, Rep. John Conyers' single-payer
legislation. (click here to see the text of the amendment).

This vote presents a truly historic opportunity - the first time that
single-payer will be voted on in the Congress. (See the news release below).

PNHP and allied groups are now marshaling our forces to win maximum support
for the Weiner single-payer amendment. We're launching a new national
campaign staffed by Ali Thebert and Nicholas Skala to make sure that members
of Congress hear from their physician constituents that single payer is the
only solution to the U.S. health care crisis.

Here's what you can do:

1.  Use PNHP's online campaign tool: send a letter to your Representative
supporting the Weiner single payer amendment (click here to send a letter!).

2.  Arrange a meeting with your Representative: and use Weiner Single Payer
Amendment lobbying materials available on the campaign web site (click here
for the campaign web site). Try to visit your Representatives during the
August recess while members are still in their districts. If you need help
or strategy advice, email ali at pnhp.org.

3. Speak out to local media and / or publish an op-ed: Please forward the
included press release on the Weiner Amendment to your local media and offer
to speak to the local press on behalf of the Amendment. Editorial board
meetings and op-eds are also helpful at this time. (Click here for tips on
writing op-eds)

In other news, PNHPer Dr. David Scheiner has been appearing in the media
nationwide. Dr. Scheiner was Obama's personal physician for 22 years until
Obama became president. He was also the medical partner of PNHP National
Coordinator Dr. Quentin Young for 30 years.

Dr. Scheiner has criticized the Obama health plan and called for single
payer instead in media outlets ranging from Forbes magazine to Lou Dobbs to
FOX News.
Watch Dr. Scheiner's appearance on CNN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb-OVHmhQFM

Dr. Scheiner will appear on "Real Time with Bill Maher" on Friday, August 7
at 10:00 Eastern on HBO. Be sure to tune in!

Other PNHP leaders have taken to the airwaves, including Margaret Flowers,
Oliver Fein, Garrett Adams, Claudia Fegan and Andy Coates. Please exert
every effort to speak out yourself, including through letters to the editor
and op-eds.

For those of you who need help understanding the details of the various
reform plans coming out of the House and Senate, the Kaiser Family
Foundation has a side-by-side comparison tool for all proposals, including
the House (HR 676) and Senate (HR 703) single-payer bills. (Click here for
the Kaiser tool).

Finally, registration for the PNHP annual meeting on October 24 in
Cambridge, MA is now open at www.pnhp.org/meeting. See our invitation letter
reprinted below. We hope to see you there!

Cordially,

Quentin Young, M.D.
National Coordinator

Ida Hellander, M.D.