[Peace-discuss] Truman and Hiroshima

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 6 14:03:52 CDT 2009

[Notice of this poll was sent to me with the note, "No wonder there's no
uprising in this country against the war crimes perpetrated in Iraq and
Afghanistan..." --CGE]

	64 Years Later, US Support for Hiroshima Nuking Lingers
	Killing of 140,000 Less Palatable Among Young, Poll Finds
	by Jason Ditz, August 05, 2009

64 years ago on August 6, 1945, the United States dropped a nuclear bomb on the
Japanese city of Hiroshima, immediately killing 70,000 Japanese (the vast
majority of them civilians) and killing tens of thousands of others in the years
that followed, with the final toll estimated at 140,000. It was the first of
only two uses of nuclear weapons in human history (the second was three days
later in Nagasaki) and the deadliest.

Today, a poll by Quinnipiac University found that 61% of Americans felt the
attack was “the right thing” while only 22% believe it was wrong. Somewhat
encouraging, however, was that the willingness to question the attack was
significantly larger among younger people, with people between the ages of 18-34
split roughly down the middle about whether the killings were acceptable.

In the US, it is still common for school children to be taught that the nuclear
attack saved millions of lives, and the poll shows that the belief that the
attack was immoral is very much a minority opinion. It was not always the case,
however.

Former President Dwight Eisenhower said he believed the attack was “completely
unneccesary,” adding that “Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to
surrender.” President Truman’s Military Chief of Staff Admiral William Leahy
said “the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no
material assistance in our war against Japan,” Admiral Leahy also said “my own
feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical
standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war
in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children.”

http://news.antiwar.com/2009/08/05/64-years-later-us-support-for-hiroshima-nuking-lingers/