[Peace-discuss] Truman and Hiroshima

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Thu Aug 6 12:39:07 CDT 2009

We should not forget. Useful reminders by Ralph Raico:

http://original.antiwar.com/Ralph-2/2009/08/05/hiroshima-and-nagasaki/

"The most spectacular episode of Truman’s presidency will never be
forgotten, but will be forever linked to his name: the atomic bombings
of Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, and of Nagasaki three days later.
Probably around two hundred thousand persons were killed in the
attacks and through radiation poisoning; the vast majority were
civilians, including several thousand Korean workers. Twelve U.S. Navy
fliers incarcerated in a Hiroshima jail were also among the dead.…"

Raico concludes:

"Leo Szilard was the world-renowned physicist who drafted the original
letter to Roosevelt that Einstein signed, instigating the Manhattan
Project. In 1960, shortly before his death, Szilard stated another
obvious truth:

If the Germans had dropped atomic bombs on cities instead of us, we
would have defined the dropping of atomic bombs on cities as a war
crime, and we would have sentenced the Germans who were guilty of this
crime to death at Nuremberg and hanged them.

The destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a war crime worse than
any that Japanese generals were executed for in Tokyo and Manila. If
Harry Truman was not a war criminal, then no one ever was."

Of course, Truman is only one noteworthy example of those "leaders"
who take nations to war and are ready and willing to sacrifice
innocents.  They are with us today, and may rightly be called war
criminals. --mkb