[Peace-discuss] Fw: I'm going to level with you

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 14:27:38 CDT 2009

Anybody wanna go to Pontiac to speak truth to Timmy??

--- On Fri, 8/7/09, Matt Holland, TrueMajority.org <alerts at truemajority.org> wrote:

Dear Jenifer,
I'm going to level with you. Healthcare reform could be in trouble this summer, because of the actions of a handful of radical right- wingers who are traveling around to town hall meetings to verbally assault members of Congress and shut down the conversation. We have to get off the sidelines, and SHOW UP AT THOSE MEETINGS to demonstrate that real voters *do* want our Congressmembers to fix the health insurance system this year. Otherwise all they'll hear is the shouted insults of these conservative ideologues.

There is a meeting in YOUR district within the next 48 hours -- please get the information on when and where, and make the time to drop by.

click here for the place and time

We've seen the briefing manual prepared for these agitators, which tells them to interrupt Congressmembers as often as possible, make lots of noise, and try to seem bigger than they are by crowding into the front of the audience. There are even reports that the protesters are being bussed from town hall to town hall. Yes, these are dirty tricks. But sometimes dirty tricks work, if we don't stand up to them.

We need a rational, honest discussion of how to get out of the healthcare crisis. We don't want to get into shouting matches with these people, but we MUST show up and honestly speak our minds to the members of Congress. Otherwise they'll come back to Washington with horror stories instead of a renewed commitment to put the brakes on our out-of-control health insurance system.

Don't think that your member of Congress is "safe", either. Some of the most reliable progressive members of Congress are receiving these attacks, and some of them are rattled. If we want them to do the right thing when it comes time to vote for a saner health insurance system, we have to do the right thing now, and care enough to show up.

Thanks for everything you continue to do in this fight.

-Matt

Matt Holland
Online Director
TrueMajority / USAction

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for TrueMajority.

To stop ALL email from TrueMajority, click here to remove yourself from our list.

TrueMajority.org is a grassroots group of citizens who believe in America's true values of openness, fairness and compassion. We believe participating in an effective government is the best way to be mutually responsible for our community. TrueMajority is a project of USAction, a 501(c)(4) organization under the IRS tax code.