[Peace-discuss] Healthcare and Daughter Nadine

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 16 19:38:05 CDT 2009

Actually, Medicare was achieved in something like 'one fell swoop.' It's a
single-payer health care system that was passed by Congress in the late spring
of 1965 and signed into law by President Johnson on July 30 as amendments to
Social Security legislation.  At the moment, it enrolls only Americans over 65.

Alex Cockburn remarks that Medicare was "driven through Congress by the most
consummately cunning and accomplished politician of the postwar era and maybe of
the twentieth century (unless you make the case for FDR), Lyndon Johnson, who
really did care about poverty, having seen a lot of it up close in Texas."

Maybe.  If it weren't for the fact that Johnson killed a couple of million SE
Asians -- as well as a few friends of mine -- I might find it easier to praise
the political skills, if that's what they were, that accomplished this.

It's certainly the case that Medicare for all is what we should insist on now,
rather than the gimcrack system of protecting corporate profits that's being
called "Obamacare."  --CGE