FW: [Peace-discuss] Fw: Lou Dobbs is dangerous

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 22:33:51 CDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 05:23:26PM -0700, Jenifer Cartwright wrote:
> > Y're kidding, right?? If I were in charge of hiring and firing at CNN, I
> > would indeed have the right to "stop something," specifically the
> > continuation of Lou Dobbs on CNN. By exercising my own freedom of speech,
> > am telling CNN that I want them to do exactly that. Again, it is my right
> and
> > responsibility to do this.
> > I think Neil has already covered this very well -- the difference betw
> > totally silencing someone and refusing him a national platform.
> >  --Jenifer
>
> I heard today at ICJPE meeting of another variety of hate speech.
>
> It's called "murder music".  A Jamaican musician, Buju Banton,
> is touring the US, singing songs whose lyrics call outright for
> killing gay and lesbian men and women.  Indeed, in Jamaica, it's especially
> bad news
> to be homosexual -- many have been murdered in just the last few years,
> targeted for their sexual orientation.  (Found this in the Wikipedia page
> on "LGBT rights in Jamaica": Just after the 2004 murder of one Jamaican
> gay-rights activists, a Human Rights Watch researcher found a crowd
> celebrating outside his house.  She quotes them as singing slogans about
> killing gays -- singing lines straight from Banton's and other music.)
> There are of course nonlethal forms of persecution too.  Some LGBT people
> have fled Jamaica and sought and been granted asylum in other countries,
> specifically for being persecuted based on their sexual orientation.
>
> Given a pattern like this, do we indeed want to say that we
> should not recognize any such category as a hate crime?
>
> Now, in the US, LGBT groups are using their free speech rights
> to try to influence local venues to cancel their bookings with
> this Buju Banton, including one at the House of Blues in Chicago.
> If they succeed, he won't be able to perform there.  Does this
> amount to censorship?  Do we call it an improper restriction on free
> speech?

Again, you're conflating state action with private action.  Criminalizing
certain speech by calling it a "hate crime" would be state action, and is
very problematic constitutionally.  However, citizens applying pressure
(argumentation, the threat of a boycott, etc.) to a business establishment
to "censor" certain speech (or song lyrics, in this case) is perfectly
legitimate private action.

It took me a while, in law school, to get in the habit of asking myself at
the outset, when analyzing a legal issue, "Wait a minute.  Is this 'state
action' or is it not?"  It's a crucial distinction.

John Wason