[Peace-discuss] Fw: Lou Dobbs is dangerous

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Aug 17 18:56:25 CDT 2009

Mort,

I am not going to attend to the issue of empirical evidence of what the
majority of U.S. people think at any given time in or throughout U.S.
History since I am inclined to agree with you that there are no valid,
reliable and valid statistics available and those indicators that might be
found tend to be skewed or biased.  All sides have the right to put forth
their unsubstantiated opinions backed by impressions and anecdotes.

However, I will attempt to address the second question pertaining to the
definition of fascism and if “authoritarianism” is a necessary property of
fascism.  First. As suggested “Fascism” and Fascist” with capital “F”s are
proper names of a specific political regimes ideological doctrine and of a
specific political party and its members and supporters.  When used with a
lower case “f,” it does not designate a proper name but something much more
generic and general  than a specific concrete regime or political party or
the actual members and supporters of that concrete political party or
regime.  Dictionary definitions typically define terms in light of either
their specialized or formal technical uses or in terms of their common
everyday usage.  Such uses are language uses and not philosophical uses in
which fascism with a lower case “f” refers to a political theory and its
substantive content of which there are a number of variants and not to
concrete manifestation of either attempts to implement the political theory
or  instances where a concrete entity seeks to appropriate the name for its
use as a name for itself or its ideology.

As for the fact that some dictionary includes the term and even the notion
of “authoritarianism” or “authoritarian” in their definition of “Fascism” or
“fascism,” it is obvious that they are using popular notions of  both
fascism and authoritarianism which obscures and ignores the fact that the
popular versions of these notions are very vague and ambiguous from a
theoretical and empirical perspective.  In political theory and philosophy,
fascism does not call for authoritarianism or authoritarian leadership or
actions by name or by description as a key or essential element.  In fact,
the  term and/or notion and/or concept of authoritarian and authoritarianism
have little or not actual standing – much less definitions.  The terms and
notions do have some standing in psychology and social psychology as well as
a technical definition which refers to and is based on a personality type
with  set of personality traits that characterize people to a greater or
lesser extent.  Each of these traits in the set according to the theory
presents a continuum and not an “either/or” trait  in which various
configurations of  the traits in the set might constitute or characterize an
authoritarian personality of for different given  individuals.  There has
been a popular tendency to generalize these individual traits and project
them into political theory and onto states, political arrangements,
political parties, groups ,ideologies, and political theories and
philosophies in an “either/or” reified fashion.  I take these dictionary
definitions with a grain of salt and do not take the alleged contradiction
between dictionary definitions and philosophical or theoretical traditions.