[Peace-discuss] Fascism authoritarian?

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Tue Aug 18 00:16:26 CDT 2009

Laurie,

I'm afraid I'm not persuaded by your remarks about fascism and
authoritarianism. Rather, I have consulted a discussion of fascism in
the Columbia encyclopedia, 3rd edition, 1963 (page 699), wherein the
philosophical roots of fascism are described, to me rather
convincingly, under the title "Origins of Fascist Philosophy". Among
other key concepts cited as basic to fascism, it lists the
"glorification of the state and the total subordination of the
individual in it."  It also states " Salvation from the rule by the
mob  and the destruction of the existing social order can be effected
only by an authoritarian leader who embodies in his person the highest
ideals of the nation" …

Perhaps you have other (better?) sources, but the totalitarian/
authoritarian aspect of fascism, as implied above, seems generally
accepted, and are not inconsistent with the definitions quoted earlier.

Mort

On Aug 17, 2009, at 6:56 PM, LAURIE SOLOMON wrote:

> Mort,
>
> I am not going to attend to the issue of empirical evidence of what
> the majority of U.S. people think at any given time in or throughout
> U.S. History since I am inclined to agree with you that there are no
> valid, reliable and valid statistics available and those indicators
> that might be found tend to be skewed or biased.  All sides have the
> right to put forth their unsubstantiated opinions backed by
> impressions and anecdotes.
>
> However, I will attempt to address the second question pertaining to
> the definition of fascism and if “authoritarianism” is a necessary
> property of fascism.  First. As suggested “Fascism” and Fascist”
> with capital “F”s are proper names of a specific political regimes
> ideological doctrine and of a specific political party and its
> members and supporters.  When used with a lower case “f,” it does
> not designate a proper name but something much more generic and
> general  than a specific concrete regime or political party or the
> actual members and supporters of that concrete political party or
> regime.

N.B. The dictionary definitions cited took this into consideration.