[Peace-discuss] When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder?

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 24 11:18:24 CDT 2009

Excellent point, Karen, and well-put.

The idea that we can come up with permanent fixes is neo-neoplatonic or something.  Anyway it belongs in a different, more armchair-philosophical arena.  Frances Fox Piven and Richard Cloward have written some wonderfully researched and argued, eye-opening stuff on this: Regulating the Poor, Poor People's Movements, The Politics of Turmoil, Why Americans Still Don't Vote.  Piven's latest - Challenging Authority - is available to poor people through the public library system.

(If I could just quibble a couple points: poor kids in Urbana often walk tio school - 60% of Leal students qualify for free or reduced lunches - and they do stay after school for chess clubs and things.  The Urbana Free library also has a free chess club, for example.  One thing I notice, or seem to, is that as movements do make some partial progress, the power gradient will often shift - as in your examples - but it also seems to become more complex.  In reality I think it is usually pretty complex, e.g. civilian deaths have been pretty high in past wars, too, historically from famine and disease and so on, but it has changed like you say.  Hand-to-hand combat is making a bit of a comeback, too, in a way, at the same time we rely more and more on drones and such.  Just a friendly amendment, sorry it's a lot less poetic than your excellent comments.)

Ricky

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn