[Peace-discuss] When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder?

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 12:00:32 CDT 2009

I wish Champaign schools would follow Urbana schools on this. And
maybe they will someday.

> poor kids in Urbana often walk to school
> 60% of Leal students qualify for free or reduced lunches
> and they do stay after school for chess clubs and things.
> The Urbana Free library also has a free chess club, for example.

Champaign Public Library still complains of the students that come
over from across the street after school. The students are loud and
are not there to use the library.

I say "start programs just for them." I cannot think of a better
situation for the library to be in. You already have the teens in the
building. That is half the battle right there.

-karen medina