[Peace-discuss] Feingold, Breaking Beltway Taboo [sic]

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 25 14:52:33 CDT 2009

Some taboo.  The "timetable" dodge has been the favorite Democratic cover story
since they were given control of the Congress in 2006 specifically to end Bush's
war.

As was pointed out on several sides at the time, the Constitutional way to do
that was to cut off the money (and that did not require a veto-proof majority,
as the Democrats falsely claimed).

But the Democrats supported the US policy in the Middle East and wished only to
use the dismay with the war for their own electoral purposes.  AS we now see, in
office they continued Bush's Iraq policy and in AfPak waged a more brutal and
aggressive war than his administration did.

We all know that both parties are substantially to the right of the US populace
on many issues -- that's their job -- and on questions of war they've moved even
further: Feingold's "taboo-breaking" position on the very fringe of the
Democratic party is about the same as the Nixon-Kissinger position on their war
40 years ago.  --CGE