[Peace-discuss] [Fwd: [SuperLiberty] Edward Kennedy 1932-2009]

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Aug 26 11:40:52 CDT 2009

[One of Kennedy's "accomplishments" was substantial deregulation of US
industry, notably airline and trucking, with results practically as
disastrous as the concurrent Democratic deregulation of banks.
Kennedy's aide for much of this nefarious work was Stephen Breyer, later
elevated to the Supreme Court. --CGE]

 From an editorial in today’s Washington Post:

TED KENNEDY once said that his own legislative record was one he’d love
to run against. A number of people tried, of course, and lost. But then,
they weren’t Ted Kennedy. Mr. Kennedy spent 46 years in the Senate
hewing pretty steadily to his course while others trimmed or just plain
bailed out.

He remained committed to a brand of New Deal and postwar liberalism
that, even when it had lost some of its luster and had run up against a
conservative tide in politics, still had much to offer the country.

—

 From the Wiki article on the New Deal:

Roosevelt formed what he called the Brain Trust, a group of academic
advisers to assist in his recovery efforts. Their solutions to the
economic crisis called for more extensive government regulation of the
economy. Donald Richberg, the second head of the NRA, said “A nationally
planned economy is the only salvation of our present situation and the
only hope for the future.”

—

 From Ted Kennedy speech to the 1980 Democratic Party convention:

The task of leadership in 1980 is not to parade scapegoats or to seek
refuge in reaction, but to match our power to the possibilities of
progress. While others talked of free enterprise, it was the Democratic
Party that acted and we ended excessive regulation in the airline and
trucking industry, and we restored competition to the marketplace. And I
take some satisfaction that this deregulation legislation that I
sponsored and passed in the Congress of the United States.

See full article at
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2009/08/26/ted-kennedy-as-new-dealer/

—