[Peace-discuss] Re: petition period has begun for next year's D and R primaries

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 27 12:48:37 CDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:06:51PM -0500, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Amongst those for whom identity politics have replaced class politics --
> i.e., diversity (politics as etiquette) is all the more tenaciously insisted
> upon as a substitute for economic equality as a real political goal --
> voicing such opinions about homosexuality becomes a "hate crime," the worst
> delict in the liberal decalogue.

Carl,

This woman is (was?) openly calling for either homosexuality,
or homosexual sex, to be made *illegal*.  This isn't a question of
niceties of arguments over "identity politics", this is calling
for outright repression of a minority group under color of law,
under some legislature's definition of that group.  It should make
any self-respecting libertarian's blood boil.  And this is the
strongest you have to say about it?

Wayne,

Please say it ain't so.  Inviting Rosanna to retract her retraction
sounds as if you are asking her to repent of compassion.  Isn't that
what it amounts to?  Ugh.

> American society today seems to have a Victorian prudishness about the actual
> consideration of sexual morality, which is quite different from relegating
> the matter to the rather minor importance it deserves.

I agree with that.  In a just society this would be a non-issue.  But
it is not, since there is a long history in our society and others
of recognizing homosexuals as a distinct group, persecuting them,
and giving them reduced rights and protection under the law.
Seeking to change that status is a political process.

And complaining, as you seem to be, that there should be no need for
such a political process -- as if "identity politics" were nothing but a
distraction -- simply acts to entrench the existing persecution.

It doesn't make the group labels irrelevant as one might hope,
since they're already out there -- not only in the minds of people,
but also in habits of communication, as Bob Naiman's example
of a few months ago showed beautifully.  (A verbal job offer in a
Protestant Northern Ireland factory gets spread by word of mouth
mostly to other Protestants, not uniformly across the local population,
even with no ill will on anyone's part.  Social networks aren't random graphs.)

And, of *course*, opposing persecution of less-privileged groups
should not mean that pursuing economic equality isn't also on the table.
(How many negatives in that?)

   Stuart

> [...]
>> metaphoric.
>> What bothers me most is the hypocrisy implicit in calling the expressed
>> admonitions of a group "homophobic", "wacko", and "hate-mongering".   Some
>> of
>> the so-called left liberals are the most likely to engage in intensely
>> disparaging and often obscene remarks about those who oppose their
>> immorality.  Isn't it "hate-mongering" to call someone a "hate-monger"?
>> Isn't it Wack to call someone a wacko?
>> If I lived in Ms. Pulido's district, I would be likely to vote for her,
>> knowing that she understands the dangers of homosexuality and is therefore
>> more likely to favour measures that would tend to contain and extinguish
>> homosexuality rather than encourage it.
>> I would guess that those who engage in homosexual behaviour and those who
>> actively condone and promote homosexual behaviour would have a similar
>> response to any opposition to their ideas regardless of what descriptive
>> colloquialism is employed.
>> On 8/27/2009 8:55 AM, Ricky Baldwin wrote:
>>> Wayne,
>>> Are you endorsing these "fudge-packing" remarks in the original context?
>>> Ricky
>>> "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn
>>> --- On *Thu, 8/27/09, Matt Reichel /<mattreichel at hotmail.com>/* wrote:
>>> From: Matt Reichel <mattreichel at hotmail.com> Subject: RE: [Peace-discuss]
>>> Re: petition period has begun for next year's D and R primaries To:
>>> ewj at pigs.ag Cc: peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net Date: Thursday, August
>>> 27,
>>> 2009, 8:03 AM
>>> Given the short time period of the special election, the fact that the
>>> Democrat was the presumed winner in the gerrymandered district, and the
>>> relative unknown nature of Pulido outside of various wacko channels,
>>> there
>>> aren't a whole lot of gold standards reporting on her. The value of the
>>> article I linked to had nothing to do with its investigative rigor, but
>>> rather with the fact that several quotes of Rosanna's were carefully laid
>>> out in succession. You only need listen to Rosanna to understand that she
>>> is an imbecile.
>>> ought be renamed the "Campaign for Liberty for Heterosexual White Men."
>>> Truly Scary Stuff.
>>> Best, Matt
>>> Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:24:09 -0500 From: ewj at pigs.ag To:
>>> mattreichel at hotmail.com CC: peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net Subject: Re:
>>> [Peace-discuss] Re: petition period has begun for next year's D and R
>>> primaries
>>> Matt,
>>> Wonkette is certainly the gold standard of truth and carefully considered
>>> journalism.
>>> I am really with you on this one.  I am so disappointed that Rosanna
>>> "apologized".  I don't much go for flip-floppers. Thanks for pointing
>>> this
>>> out.  I will ask her what point of weakness led her to apologize when I