[Peace-discuss] Re: petition period has begun for next year's D and R primaries

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 27 17:40:29 CDT 2009

Homosexual acts should not be made illegal (nor should homosexuals, if they
exist, pace Gore Vidal).  But calling for them to be made illegal is an act of
free speech, which should not be suppressed.

I would think that a libertarian -- as we currently use the term in the US --
would agree with both propositions, and I do, but I'm not a libertarian.

If "identity politics were *nothing but* a distraction" -- if groups such as
blacks and women had no real grievances -- it could hardly work as a distraction
from class oppression.

The question, is IP in fact functioning that way, as Walter Benn Michaels
argues. I think so.

How many negatives in THAT?

Regards, CGE