[Peace-discuss] Catholics oppose public Catholic funeral for arch-heretic Kennedy.

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Aug 31 09:58:43 CDT 2009

"Heresy" derives from a greek root / (h)aireomai/ which means "to choose",
/hairesos/ meaning a sect so formed, not always with negative connotation.

Aquinas defines heresy as "a species of infidelity in men who, having
professed the faith of Christ, corrupt its dogmas".

Webster defines an ArchHeretic as a "chief heretic".
(Stephen Kaufman immediately comes to mind,
but one should then be boggled by Webster's prescience.)

Arch-heretics and the less virulent vanilla heretics likely get their
attention from
presenting a real threat of competition.  Embracing Kennedy was likely
judged to be enlarging whereas dogged adherence to dogmata was likely to
be diminishing.