[Peace-discuss] Catholics oppose public Catholic funeral for arch-heretic Kennedy.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Aug 29 15:44:24 CDT 2009

It's worth noting that, for good or ill, this was not the official position of
the Roman church in the US, nor of the Archdiocese of Boston, where Kennedy's
funeral mass was held this morning in a basilica (a principal church) that is
situated in midst of an urban housing project.

The practice of denying religious services to the funeral of a public sinner is
of course ancient.  (It's discussed e.g. in Hamlet).  The political actions of
Ted Kennedy -- what he did and what he failed to do as a public official -- as
set out here in an article by Alex Cockburn would lead me to think that an
objection to Christian burial for him would not be out of place, but that was
not as I said the view of the officials of the church.

The organization referred to here is of course speaking for itself and its
principal member (who appears to have a student at Notre Dame when I taught
there). "Arch-heretic" seems a bit strong.  Heresy means literally one-sidedness
in theological opinion, and I doubt Ted Kennedy had many theological opinions;
surely not enough to be "arch."  --CGE