[Peace-discuss] Catholics oppose public Catholic funeral for arch-heretic Kennedy.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 31 17:21:12 CDT 2009

--"sanctified the slave trade" is a bit sweeping about a tradition that, from
the Dominican Bartolomé de las Casas (1484–1566), produced strong critics of
slavery as well;

--"collaboration with the Nazis" goes beyond the criticism that not enough was
done to oppose German policies by Eugenio Pacelli, pope as Pius XII during WWII
-- who in fact had written part of his predecessor's condemnation of Nazism,
"Mit brennender Sorge," published in 1937;

--the use of condoms is not criticized because "they are 'science' preventing
God's work"; and

--church authorities hardly "allowed decades of pedophilia."  The matter was
often hushed up when it shouldn't have been, because it was shocking; the
American episcopate often behaved badly after the fact -- but perhaps not so
badly as, say, the present administration is behaving regarding torture, still
condoned in theory and practice, from rendition to Bagram AFB.  And torture is
surely worse than pedophilia, which is thoroughly condemned as it should be
throughout the Roman church.  --CGE