[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] How to locate AWARE table at Sweetcorn Festival

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Aug 31 11:15:25 CDT 2009

(moving to Peace-discuss)

I don't like to be misquoted and misrepresented.
I prefer that those who disagree and disparage have their facts straight.

Those who choose a path of violence generally come to a violent end.

My reference is to the notion that we need new tactics to awaken the masses,
the equivalent to "bombs".  Some in the liberty movement have had
promoted "money bombs"
raising hundreds of thousands even millions for candidates like Ron Paul
and Peter Schiff,
which is having some effect.

****

In regard to the local GOP, I am still on their mailing list.  I had
been an appointed
precinct committeeman in Cunningham 12, from which position I resigned
several months ago,
prior to running for city council in Urbana as an Independent.  Nobody
kicked me out, I just
walked away.  Indeed I was banned from IlliniPundit, not just once, but
twice in fact. :-)   That blog is not exactly
what you might call a free-speech zone, nor is it a venue for exchange
of "traditional conservative" ideas such as
opposition to war.   I have found other outlets that are somewhat more
receptive.

It seems that the GOP has forgotten the purpose of elections in general
and chooses to
act as a dominant top-down politburo "choosing primary winners so that
the people don't have to".

Indeed ex-party chief Andrew McKenna has been quoted as stating that the
Illinois GOP Central Committee
should determine who the GOP candidates are, and not have a primary
election at all.  Certainly the fellow you refer to as
"our 103rd State Rep candidate" appears to be anointed by the local
top-down organization, and there
is no reason for the people themselves to be consulted.  I took issue
with him over the fact that he told me that
he had been solicited by the local top-downers and that the GOP didn't
want anyone else to run because
they didn't want to expend precious resources on a contested primary.

My point is that this top-down selection of candidates is a perversion
of the democratic process and is not
conducive to "good government".  Others may disagree.

I think it is particularly unfortunate that the GOP has come to view
primary elections as an impediment to their political ends.
I am no great fan of Abraham Lincoln but I do agree that government
should be "of the people, by the people, for the people" whether
there is much evidence that Lincoln actually subscribed to that concept
or not.