[Peace-discuss] Re: [Discuss] Letter to Ed from Seon Williams

Melodye Rosales melodye at nitrogendesign.com
Thu Dec 3 12:13:44 CST 2009

These types of Kumbaya coming out of the community by the newly anointed
so-called leaders is not only hypocritical, but transparent as well.  It is
the quintessential, "The pot calling the kettle Black".  I lump this recent
"Letter to the Editor" alongside the "let's all hold hands and learn to 'Get
together' as we learn to 'Get over it'," mantras and messengers of.  Sadly,
this type of commentary only serves as a period to Tuesday night's
Kristian-Kyles sermon at city council.  Though I deeply believe in God and
spiritual discourse, I am vehemently opposed to using a political forum as a
religious bully-pulpit.  Speaking of, throughout the ages wasn't it the
political regimes who revised the Bible again and again, with each new
political ascension, to suit their political ideologies, leadership and
citizen manipulation of the day?

Religion is not to hide behind, but to use as a personal climate barometer
alerting the conscience mind if there are enough positive neurons being
produced or destructive ones multiplying negativity.

Religion is not to be confused with speaking the Truth---or asking for it.

Religion is not to be used to prevent speaking the Truth---or seeking it.

Religion is not to be confused with providing equity in a leadership
role---or the ability to understand what it involves.

I do not want to attend church service when I go to City Council.  Instead,

   - I want concrete solutions without waffling.
   - I want answers I understand and not the canned tag line "We don't know
   everything, but we are listening and will definitely look into your
   concerns."
   - I want action, not a carefully prepared set of goals that are leftovers
   from the last 50 years and have already been reheated to the point where
   they are no longer palatable to our community's progress.

On another note--I wanted to take this moment to thank the several concerned
folks on the lists who have emailed me over the past month to warn me that
these posts are read by the City and their CPD.  I will tell this list, as I
responded to those well meaning folks who felt a need to ensure I was aware
of the "Monitors" to these public lists, of course we know these politically
perverse voyagers are tuning in on a regular basis.  I only post comments I
want the City and their CPD to read given we only get a limited 5 minutes at
the televised Council forum affectionately nicknamed, The Gong Show, I feel
these forums are the only way to ensure my voice is heard by the intended
audience I am trying to engage.

And for all of those who may think I am looking at the glass half empty
instead of half full---think again.  I would encourage all of you to not let
these sidebar exchanges substitute the real fight we are waging.  Our focus
should only be on:

   1. The investigative report
   2. Was the youth a victim of a mishap or intentional rage?
   3. Has this investigative process been transparent and untainted?
   4. Have all of the so-called facts been validated with concrete
   facts/timeline or are they "Hearsay"
   5. Has the local governing body followed State Statutes and Processes to
   the letter of the law?  Or have the written in stone procedures been
   rewritten on paper?
   6. On THIS occasion was the surviving youth resisting arrest or was he
   simply running for his life after witnessing Kiwane getting shot?

We should not allow ourselves to get sidetracked with irrelevant facts and
information:

   1. Kiwane Carrington's lifestyle has no relevance in the decision to
   shoot him
   2. The Surviving youth's lifestyle has nothing to do with determining if
   on THIS occasion he resisted arrest
   3. The number of programs offered to the youth in the community have no
   importance to what happened on October 9, 2009 between 1:20pm and 2:15pm at
   906 W. Vine St.
   4. Beyond the only two folks with a loaded weapon who were at the scene
   when Carrington was killed, there is no importance or value of pointing
   fingers at who was responsible for these youths lifestyle or their school
   records.  No one outside of the two officers had control over the deadly
   force used on October 9, 2009 between 1:20pm and @ 2:17pm and that is the
   only issue we are dealing with, investigating and finding truth for
   5. It doesn't matter how nice the majority of the Officers are or how
   many good deeds they have done
   6. It doesn't matter how well the neighborhood and police relations
   efforts have done

Those in charge and have been assigned to modify our focus from the single
fact, on a single day, at a single moment and we are allowing them to dilute
and distract us.  I urge all of us as the hours countdown, to stay steady on
one point and one point only:

What happened when two armed law enforcement officers were alone with two
unarmed youths that resulted in one death at the hands of one of the
officers.  This can neither be prettified nor vilified---it only can be
Truth.

-M