[Peace-discuss] US' real enemy in Mideast (II)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Dec 4 20:17:08 CST 2009

	Scahill: ‘The war is in Pakistan right now’
	By David Edwards and Muriel Kane
	Friday, December 4th, 2009 -- 12:04 pm

    *US's unofficial war in Pakistan will 'create enemies,' author says

In the wake of President Obama's plan to increase the number of US troops in
Afghanistan, questions are being raised about the use of private contractors in
US operations there. The acknowledgment by Eric Prince, founder of military
contractor Blackwater, that he has been serving for years as a CIA asset only
intensifies these concerns.

For Jeremy Scahill, author of the bestselling book Blackwater, however, the real
concern is not Afghanistan but Pakistan, where according to an article in the
New York Times, "the White House has authorized an expansion of the C.I.A.’s
drone program."

"We need to view this sober reality," Scahill told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow on
Thursday. "The war is in Pakistan right now. There's no question about it. The
question, though, is how much it's going to expand. ... These are actions that
are going to destabilize Pakistan and are going to create new enemies for the
United States because of the high civilian casualties. ... Here you have
military operations inside a country that we don't have a declaration of war
against."

Scahill emphasized that the most destabilizing actions come not from the CIA but
from Blackwater mercenaries, whom he recently described in The Nation as working
for US special forces to "plan targeted assassinations of suspected Taliban and
Al Qaeda operatives, 'snatch and grabs' of high-value targets and other
sensitive action inside and outside Pakistan."
Story continues below...

The drone attacks outsourced to Blackwater are the source of the highest numbers
of civilian casualties. Scahill told Maddow that one of his sources is a "very
well-placed military intelligence source [who] is offended at the idea that you
have these operations happening outside of the military chain of command and
with no oversight from the Congress."

"Blackwater has been operating under the cover of a training program," Scahill
explained. "Blackwater is training the Pakistani Frontier Corps, which is a
federal paramilitary force that is hunting down high-value targets in the
frontier province. A former Blackwater executive told me that the line is being
crossed -- that Blackwater guys are actually going out on these raids."

Scahill also revealed a few interesting tidbits about Eric Prince's decision to
out himself as a CIA asset, saying, "I see this sort of as Eric Prince taking
out an insurance policy for himself. ... Eric Prince is in the cross-hairs now
of the Congress, the federal investigators, and others ... and it's a way of
trying to insulate himself from future attacks."

	###