[Peace-discuss] Julia Reitz interview on PBR

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 16:28:14 CST 2009

Thanks for the link, Wayne. I printed off Reitz's report and will read it all of it, since there surely are some pretty huge leaps in there somewhere.

I think it's appropriate to consider Norbits "a defendent," and the fact that he did not re-holster his gun with the safety back on as any or all of these: gross negligence, criminally negligent manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, aggravated assault, second degree murder.
In the meantime, there's this from Wikipedia (the highlights are mine):

Criminally negligent manslaughter
Criminally negligent manslaughter is variously referred to as criminally negligent homicide in the United States, gross negligence manslaughter in England and Wales or culpable homicide in Scotland.
It occurs where death results from serious negligence, or, in some jurisdictions, serious recklessness. A high degree of negligence is required to warrant criminal liability. A related concept is that of wilful blindness, which is where a defendant intentionally puts himself in a position where he will be unaware of facts which would render him liable.
Criminally negligent manslaughter occurs where there is an omission to act when there is a duty to do so, or a failure to perform a duty owed, which leads to a death. The existence of the duty is essential because the law does not impose criminal liability for a failure to act unless a specific duty is owed to the victim. It is most common in the case of professionals who are grossly negligent in the course of their employment. An example is where a doctor fails to notice a patient's oxygen supply has disconnected and the patient dies (R v Adomako).

United States Law
In jurisdictions such as Pennsylvania, if a person is so reckless as to "manifest extreme indifference to human life", the defendant may be guilty of aggravated assault as well as of involuntary manslaughter.[17]
In many jurisdictions such as California, malice may be found if gross negligence amounts to wilful or depraved indifference to human life. In such a case, the wrongdoer may be guilty of second degree murder

There's surely a case here against Norbits, but the family and friends of Kiwane Carrington need an excellent lawyer.
 --Jenifer