[Peace-discuss] Obama Invokes "Just War, " But Is the War in Afghanistan "Just"?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Dec 10 13:10:10 CST 2009

This is an excellent article.  But I'd suggest that it's not quite correct to
call "the concept of just war ... an official doctrine of the Catholic Church."

It's surely taught in the Catholic tradition, as Bob's quotations for the recent
Catechism shows, but it's both broader and narrower than that.

Narrower -- in that there are many Catholics who reject the notion that just war
theory is adequately Christian, either because they're pacifists or because they
think it incapable of being applied.

Broader -- in that ethical reasoning about the just war theory is hardly limited
to the Catholic Church. As a philosophical argument, it's more than two
millennia old, and many of those who have elaborated it, past and present, are
not Catholic.

As a theory, it's a summary of much thought about how and when war is justified
-- which is why Obama used it, however speciously.  --CGE