[Peace-discuss] Fw: BREAKING NEWS from Bold Progressives: Lieberman

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 18:50:35 CST 2009

--- On Mon, 12/14/09, Adam Green, BoldProgressives.org <info at boldprogressives.org> wrote:

#yiv149439229 , #yiv149439229 tbody, #yiv149439229 table, #yiv149439229 td, #yiv149439229 font {font:10pt Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;}
#yiv149439229 td p {margin-top:1em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:0em;}
#yiv149439229 p {margin-top:1em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:0em;}
#yiv149439229 td div p {margin-top:1em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:0em;}
#yiv149439229 .X0uMP p {margin-top:1em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:0em;}

BREAKING NEWS: Joe Lieberman announced he'll help Republicans kill any real health care reform -- and now the White House is urging senators to cave to Lieberman!
It's time for the good guys to fight back!
Tell progressive senators to fight back against Joe Lieberman's attempt to hijack the push for health care reform. Click here.

Jenifer,
BREAKING NEWS: Multiple news sources report that the White House is urging senators to cave to Sen. Joe Lieberman!
First, Lieberman announced that he would help Republicans block a vote on any health care reform bill that includes a public option. Now, he wants to get rid of the proposed "compromise" to expand Medicare, too.
Where does it end? Can you join 40,000 others in telling progressive senators to fight back against Joe Lieberman? Click here.
This is a moment that will define whether President Obama and Democrats in Congress are weak or strong.
The Huffington Post reports that progressives can defeat Lieberman by using "reconciliation, the parliamentary procedure that would allow Democrats to pass chunks of health care reform by a simple up or down vote" but that "the White House and Reid's office seem hesitant to use the procedural tool, even after Lieberman's latest round of opposition."
What?? Talk about weak! We're asking progressive senators like Russ Feingold, Bernie Sanders, and others to fight back now:
PETITION: "Don't let Joe Lieberman win! Americans need you to stand strong and block any 'compromise' without a strong public option. If necessary, demand that Sen. Harry Reid and President Obama support budget reconciliation and pass a bill with just 51 votes -- at which point, Joe Lieberman will be irrelevant and the public option can be made even stronger."
Can you help us reach 50,000 signatures? Sign here.
Then, please ask your friends to take action. We already told key senators about our petition -- and we'll keep them informed of our momentum.
Thanks for being a bold progressive.

--Adam Green, Stephanie Taylor, Aaron Swartz, Michael Snook, Natasha Patel, and the PCCC team
P.S. Today, we are releasing a new poll with Howard Dean's Democracy for America that shows wide support for our petition:

Democratic voters want Senate Democrats to use "reconciliation" by 73% to 13%. This requires just 51 votes to pass reform instead of 60, bypassing Lieberman.
Democratic voters think Senate Democrats should take away Lieberman's chairmanship by 81% to 10%. Independents also support it by 13 points.
Voters favor Howard Dean's "We Can Do Both" proposal (a public option PLUS a Medicare buy-in for ages 55-64) by 57% to 32%. Among Independents, it's 56% to 28% (2 to 1).
84% of Democratic voters want progressive primary challengers to congressional Democrats who oppose a public option.
This poll is being reported by many news outlets. Now, we need to back it up with grassroots action. Sign our petition here - then please pass this to others.
Also, Yale Professor Jacob Hacker -- the "godfather" of the public option -- wrote a great piece this weekend debunking the "phony" compromise offered last week. Check it out here.

Paid for by the Progressive Change Campaign Committee PAC (www.boldprogressives.org) and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Contributions to the PCCC are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.