[Peace-discuss] Chicago Tribune: Afghanistan Divides U.S. Senate Contest

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:58:11 CST 2009

Tally, according to this article:
pro-war Dems: Giannoulias, Meister
anti-war Dems: Jackson, Marshall, Hoffman

pro-war Rs: Kirk, Hughes, Arrington, Lowery
anti-war Rs: none.

anyone on this list know anything about Jackson, Marshall, or Hoffman?

---

"It is time to take care of America again and time to bring our troops
home," said Democratic Senate contender Cheryle Jackson, a former
president of the Chicago Urban League. "Until we stop spending
hundreds of billions on wars, we will not have the focus or money to
solve the challenges we face at home."

Jackson's call for an end to the war was joined by Democratic
contender Robert Marshall. But Democrat David Hoffman, a former
Chicago inspector general, was skeptical of Obama's troop buildup.

"My concern is that the mission of securing all of Afghanistan is very
broad, expands our core mission of protecting us from al-Qaida, is a
potentially open-ended mission, and is likely to be very costly in
lives and dollars," Hoffman said.

But first-term state Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, a Democrat, said he
fully supported Obama's strategy for Afghanistan and indicated that
those who oppose it are engaging in wishful thinking.

"In a perfect world, our troops would be at home with their families
and this war would be over," he said. "But we are not dealing with a
perfect world. We are dealing with perhaps the most complex, dangerous
region in the world ... where nuclear weapons could fall into the
hands of fanatics and terrorists."

Chicago attorney Jacob Meister, another Democratic contender, said he
was satisfied that Obama "has clearly defined the mission's
objectives, set a timetable for completion and outlined a responsible
exit strategy."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/elections/chi-dem-senate-afghanistan-21-dec21,0,1793877.story

Chicago Tribune
December 21, 2009
Pg. 9

Afghanistan Divides U.S. Senate Contest

Some Democrats call surge too much; GOP hopefuls call it too little

By Rick Pearson, Tribune reporter

The Democratic contenders for the nomination to fill Barack Obama's
former U.S. Senate seat all pledge to strongly back their home-state
president's agenda, but they are sharply divided when it comes to his
strategy for the war in Afghanistan.

Responding to a Tribune survey on foreign affairs, Republicans seeking
the Feb. 2 Senate nomination generally say they believe Obama did not
go far enough in promising to increase U.S. military strength in
Afghanistan.

This month, Obama announced plans to deploy an additional 30,000 U.S.
troops to Afghanistan, along with setting July 2011 for the start of a
military withdrawal. Obama's strategy has caused divisions among
Democrats, some of whom want to see the president announce a quick end
to the war.

[...]

Among Republicans, North Shore U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk, who served a tour
as a naval reservist in Kandahar, and contenders Patrick Hughes and
Kathleen Thomas said that while they backed Obama's strategy, even
more military personnel should be sent in line with the 44,000-troop
surge recommended by the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen.
Stanley McChrystal.

Hughes, a Hinsdale developer, said Obama's decision not to fully
comply with the general's request "raises the question of his
confidence in Gen. McChrystal's vision and strategy."

At the same time, Hughes and Republican contender John Arrington of
Harvey criticized Obama for setting a date for withdrawal. Arrington
said the July 2011 date, "gives the Taliban time to wreak havoc on the
country prior to the date so our troops may be required to stay
longer."

Another Republican contender, former judge Donald Lowery, of Golconda,
said any increase in troop strength should be "accompanied by a
lifting of the restrictions on the rules of engagement and pursuit."

All of the Democratic contenders indicated varying levels of support
for reviewing or reopening U.S. trade pacts, such as the North
American Free Trade Agreement, on issues involving labor, health and
environmental concerns.

Republicans, however, were split on the issue of trade.

Kirk warned that with Illinois' high unemployment, "we should not risk
a trade war with our state's top export markets."

Hughes and Thomas also agreed that reopening trade pacts represented a
form of unnecessary protectionism.

But Arrington said "free trade must include 'fair' free trade" and
proposed renegotiating agreements to protect American manufacturing
jobs.

Lowery said "all trade agreements should be periodically evaluated."

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org