[Peace-discuss] Rachel Corrie follow-up

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 27 12:02:53 CST 2009

FWIW, I've submitted this revised letter to the N-G in order to further clarify the issues surrounding a letter published in October by God's mendacious gift to the Urbana City Council. It should be added that one way or the other, the truth about Rachel Corrie has little or no bearing on the larger truths of the I/P conflict.

DG

This letter is for the record, in response to David Gehrig’s October 25th letter and his claim that the driver of the bulldozer that killed Rachel Corrie did not see her. In that letter Gehrig claimed that “the whole incident was caught on audiotape.”

First of all, nobody ever said—as Gehrig implies—that the bulldozer “murderously chased her down.” That is Gehrig’s straw man.

In two recent personal communications with me, David Gilbert of Oak Park wrote: “The ‘whole incident’ wasn't recorded, only the after-the-fact statement.”

Gilbert continued: “In 2007, I wrote & directed a play called ‘The Voice of Rachel Corrie,’ presented by the Committee for a Just Peace in Israel and Palestine in Oak Park.  Unlike ‘My Name,’ which covers a span of years, ‘Voice’ is only about Rachel's time in Gaza and ends with her death.  I was keenly interested in the driver's state of mind, and researched that question at length.  There apparently was audio tape of the driver telling another soldier via radio, in Russian-accented Hebrew, only this: "I hit someone."  I found nothing beyond that.  Since his comment is after-the-fact, it hardly proves he was unaware of Rachel.  And all of the eye-witnesses stated that the driver had to have seen her beforehand, given the circumstances.”

The affadavits of three eye-witnesses can be accessed at http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1674.shtml.

My experience with Gehrig’s views on the matter of Israel/Palestine is that he selects or invents facts that support his biases. This case is no different.