[Peace-discuss] Toasting the new year/decades past

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 28 18:25:20 CST 2009

The concluding line ("What a grim and revealing irony that it was the Medieval
Warm Period – which Al Gore and the IPCC have sought to purge from natural
history – that gave birth to some of the most glorious chapters in human
intellectual and artistic achievement!") is quite accurate.

When I was majoring in Renaissance studies more than 40 years ago, the notion of
the Medieval Warm Period was a commonplace. E.g., 10th-13th-century Britain was
an important producer of wine (the Domesday Book [1086 CE] lists vineyards):
it's only begun to do so again in our time.

The existence of the Medieval Warming Period (at least in Europe and the North
Atlantic) is not in doubt, and it clearly had great cultural effects, perhaps
chiefly through the expansion of population; but the medieval mode of production
collapsed in the general depression of the 14th century, concomitantly with the
end of the Medieval Warm Period.

The occurrence of such warming and cooling in the recent past may indicate that
modern global warming is not (entirely?) anthropogenic. "There are credible
arguments both for and against such a hypothesis. [See the Wikipedia article for
references.] A scientific study begun in 2009 aims to examine evidence both for
and against that hypothesis."

The same article notes the following: "Global Signatures and Dynamical Origins
of the Little Ice Age and Medieval Climate Anomaly," by Michael E. Mann, Zhihua
Zhang, Scott Rutherford et al., Science Magazine 11/27/09; and "Past regional
cold and warm periods linked to natural climate drivers" (Penn State University)
Nov 27, 2009 <http://live.psu.edu/story/43214>.  --CGE

_______________________
PS - Cockburn's also right about the mid-1970s, from my experience.  Even in New
England it was a time of political and cultural efflorescence (and I hadn't even
started to hang around with actors). I got the news by buying foreign newspapers
from newsstands and used to save my copies of the New York Review (much better
then than its pallid present-day version -- e.g., they hadn't started to refuse
to publish Chomsky) to read on the train between Providence and Boston, where I
wouldn't be disturbed.

It's no accident that the hysterical book by the Trilateral Commission, the
Crisis of Democracy, which warned of the dangers of "too much" democracy,
appeared in 1975, launching the propaganda counter-attack of neoliberalism.  See
David Harvey's important book, A Brief History of Neoliberalism.

America thirty-five years ago contrasts with today, in that the latter and not
the former fits what Gramsci wrote about Europe ca. 1930: "The crisis consists
precisely in the fact that the old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this
interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

The question is whether our politics have been completely overcome by morbidity.
We are reminded of what John Randolph of Roanoke said of America's leading
antebellum politician, Henry Clay: "A being so brilliant yet so corrupt, which,
like a rotten mackerel by moonlight, shines and stinks."

Meanwhile, liberals long for Bush.  As the late Art Buchwald said of Richard
Nixon, "I worship the quicksand he walks on!"  But it's worth noting that, as
the name of a politics and an apparatus, Bush lives on...  Maybe he's the
unconscious reason for the vampire vogue.  A stake through the heart at a
crossroads at midnight, perhaps?

"Brave souls soldier on, whether battling the military recruiters, defending
Palestine, or advancing labor’s cause. Gaze out across the political landscape
and there are many vigorous, dogged people at work ... The corporations run the
show and the only vivid opposition comes from Christian populists, who’ve bought
several million copies of Sara Palin’s memoir."

Our task is to combat that morbid symptom. As a correspondent recommends,
"...deal with the mass discontent on the Left and Right with Obama."

Chomsky: "First of all, don't believe anything you hear from power systems. So
if Obama or the boss or the newspapers or anyone else tells you they're doing
this, that, or the other thing, dismiss it or assume the opposite is true, which
it often is. You have to rely on yourself and your associates -- gifts don't
come from above; you're going to win them, or you won't have them, and you win
by struggle, and that requires understanding and serious analysis of the options
and the circumstances, and then you can do a lot. So take right now, for
example, there is a right-wing populist uprising. It's very common, even on the
left, to just ridicule them, but that's not the right reaction. If you look at
those people and listen to them on talk radio, these are people with real
grievances ... the reaction we should be having to them is not ridicule, but
rather self-criticism. Why aren't we organizing them? I mean, we are the ones
that ought to be organizing them, not Rush Limbaugh. There are historical
analogs, which are not exact, of course, but are close enough to be worrisome..."