[Peace-discuss] Jury Nullification

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Feb 2 10:15:09 CST 2009

Jury nullification sort of goes along with the judge's right to set aside a
finding of guilty by a jury (although the judge does not have the right to
set aside a finding of "not guilty").

-----Original Message-----
From: peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net
[mailto:peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net] On Behalf Of C. G.
Estabrook
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 11:46 PM
To: E. Wayne Johnson
Cc: ronpaul-199 at meetup.com; ronpaul-1884 at meetup.com; Peace-discuss List;
republican-637 at meetup.com; ronpaul-305 at meetup.com
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Jury Nullification

[From The Progressive Review, edited by Sam Smith. --CGE]

	February 1, 2009
	LOCAL HEROES: JURY FREES MARIJUANA USER

Freedom's Phoenix - A rural Illinois jury has found one of their peers
innocent
in a marijuana case that would have sent him to prison. Loren Swift was
charged
with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, and he faced a
mandatory
minimum of six years behind bars. According to Dan Churney at My Web Times,
several jurors were seen shaking Swift's hand after the verdict, a couple of
them were talking and laughing with Swift and his lawyer, and one juror
slapped
Swift on the back.

The 59-year-old was arrested after officers from a state drug task force
found
25 pounds of pot and 50 pounds of growing plants in his home in 2007. The
Vietnam veteran walks with a cane, has bad knees and feet and says he uses
marijuana to relieve body pain, as well as to help cope with post traumatic
stress.

This jury exercised their right of jury nullification. Judges and
prosecutors
never tell you this, but when you serve on a jury, it's not just the
defendant
on trial. It's the law as well. If you don't like the law and think applying
it
in this particular case would be unjust, then you don't have to find the
defendant guilty, even if the evidence clearly indicates guilt.

In jury nullification, a jury in a criminal case effectively nullifies a law
by
acquitting a defendant regardless of the weight of evidence against him or
her.
There is intense pressure within the legal system to keep this power under
wraps. But the fact of the matter is that when laws are deemed unjust, there
is
the right of the jury not to convict.

Jury nullification is crucially important because until our national
politicians
show some backbone on the issue of marijuana law reform, it's one of the
only
ways to avoid imposing hideously cruel "mandatory minimum" penalties on
marijuana users who don't deserve to go to prison.

Prosecuting and jailing people for marijuana wastes valuable resources,
including court and police time and tax dollars. Hundreds of thousands of
otherwise productive, law-abiding people have been deprived of their
freedom,
their families, their homes and their jobs. Let's save the jails for real
criminals, not pot smokers. . .

http://prorev.com/2009/02/local-heroes-jury-frees-marijuana-user.html