[Peace-discuss] Jury Nullification

Ron Szoke r-szoke at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 2 10:29:10 CST 2009

There seems to be some vagueness here about what "jury nullification" actually
means.  It seems to me that it does not  in any way erase or invalidate the law
itself, but is a holding that the law has been misinterpreted or misapplied in a
particular case  -- which the jury, as the trier of fact, can so determine.  The law
still stands & remains in force, waiting to be applied or misapplied to the next
case,  right?

That the jury is also the trier of law -- the legal norm alleged to apply to the case
-- repeatedly appears in the statutes, but is obscure to me.  What does THAT
mean?

-- Ron