FW: [Peace-discuss] Jury Nullification

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Feb 2 23:44:17 CST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: LAURIE SOLOMON [mailto:LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET]
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2009 11:39 PM
To: 'E. Wayne Johnson'
Subject: RE: [Peace-discuss] Jury Nullification

>The original purpose of jury trials was to allow nullification to occur to
avoid this sort of tyranny.

And where do you come by this bit of information?  Is this your analysis and
interpretation or is it accepted historical fact?

>The first courts are local, there are higher and higher and more central
>courts to which matters can be taken
>when it appears that local biases are resulting in general miscarriage
>of justice.

While trial courts, where one can have a jury trial in criminal cases, are
more or less local (especially in the state court system and less so in the
federal court system), the higher courts in each type of court system are
less and less local the higher the court.  More to the point, the higher
courts are not trial courts but appeal courts and do not have juries. As
such, they only examine matters of law and not fact and when local biases
violate the law or due process; they do not typically address such issues as
judge and/or venue shopping, cherry picking of juries and manipulation of
the jury selection process, trial by the media, and other indirect local
prejudices that may impact pre-trial decisions and actions such as bail,
decisions on what evidence and testimony to collect and what to ignore,
timing of the actual trial dates, offers made to defendants and witnesses in
exchange for plea bargains and testimony, etc.