[Peace-discuss] Talks about Israel/Palestine

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 09:02:13 CST 2009

Mort, thanks for going and having your say. I'm not sure I could have tolerated it, to be honest. It's amazing, I guess, that 200 people show up to be reassured that massacring civililans is justified. I'd be interested to know what proportion of the pro-Israel attendees were students. I naively thought that maybe Gaza would be too much even for some of the faithful, they'd at least be shamed into not want to hear all the propaganda. But you can see even from the letters to the N-G no such luck--the one yesterday by Silverman was particularly bizarre. It's pretty typical that questions and comments get filibustered by these people. That's what passes for "civil discourse." I don think that any significant presence at such an event will have to be organized ahead of time by students groups and AWARE, even the mosque. Either people don't know about it, or just see it as a Jews-only event, or don't see the point of being outraged, especially if they're in
 the minority. And it's usually on short notice, and in this case cold. If Carl's theory about weather and activism is right, perhaps the American intifada will start again in Berkeley.

DG