[Peace-discuss] Would It Kill Us to Apologize to Iran for the Coup?

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:24:45 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Robert Naiman <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com> wrote:

I'm definitely not in favor of refusal to recognize privilege. But I
> presume that in a non-racist society, if everyone woke up one day and
> discovered that by some mysterious process, a chunk of their neighbors
> were disproportionately excluded from the economic benefits that the
> society had to offer, people would move to address the disparity.

You gotta be shitting me, Robert.  Surely you jest?  You have neighbors
right here on this mailing list who are disproportionately excluded from the
economic benefits that society has to offer, and it has nothing to do with
race, and no one on this list is doing a damned thing about it or is GOING
to do a damned thing about it.  Whenever I talk about poverty, lack of
health insurance, etc., from a personal perspective, I get a blank stare
from the limousine liberals.  "Get a life," they say, or "Be warmed and
filled," to quote the Good Book.  I daresay that most of the readers of this
list care more about people in Pakistan than they do about their neighbors,
at least in terms of doing anything pragmatic to help them.

I'll probably live to regret that comment, but there it is.

> So, the fact that such disparities persist in our society, and the
> fact that we don't move successfully to redress them, to me is
> evidence enough of racism; no other story is necessary.

You ain't read enough stories, apparently.  There are many types of
disparities in our society, and many complex causes of such disparities.
Racism is an important one, but it is only one.

> That doesn't
> mean that other stories don't have value, and might not also be
> important to achieving the end of redress, but I see no need to posit
> them as prerequisites, and some reason not to; since it might be the
> case, for example, that some people have a psychological barrier
> against recognizing privilege, but not against redress justified on
> some other basis.

You lost me there.  Not that it matters.