[Peace-discuss] Re: [Discuss] more than a nuisance

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 13:43:53 CST 2009

The idea of keeping people safe from criminal activity and accountability
for landlords is a good idea.

However, the way that this law is written and the multiple things I've
read/been told the law does/doesn't have by the City Council and the Mayor
(often many of these things end up being contradictory to what was
originally stated -- i.e. we don't have licensing for apartments followed by
a 2/5 memo saying we do -- which only leads to confusion), do not lend
confidence to supporting the measure.

As I told the Council on Feb. 9, until we have a look at the root causes of
our problems (racial profiling, discriminatory practices, et al), then this
ordinance must be put off -- especially if the law is going to be enforced
primarily through police contact with properties.

While it may be a tool to be "progressive", I also fear that it could cut
the other way and be a tool of gentrification and attacking "undesirables"
in our community, especially given the current way it is written.

Live without dead time,

               Neil

It is not our problems that are large...It is that we're looking at them on
our knees.
[anon.]

Any coward can fight a battle when he's sure of winning, but give me the man
who has pluck to fight when he's sure of losing. That's my way, sir; and
there are many victories worse than a defeat.
[george eliot, 1819-1880]